Difference between LTE-M Cat-0, Cat-M1, Cat-M2 device categories
This page compares LTE-M Cat-0 vs Cat-M1 vs Cat-M2 and describes difference between LTE-M Cat-0, Cat-M1, Cat-M2 device categories.
LTE-M follows 3GPP specifications similar to LTE technology. LTE-M stands for Long Term Evolution for Machine-Type Communications. It is mainly developed to fulfill cellular IoT device objectives such as low device cost, deep coverage, longer battery life, higher cell capacity and so on.
• It is specified in 3GPP Release-12.
• Peak data rates: 1 Mbps in DL and UL (Cat-1 supports 10 Mbps in DL and 5 Mbps in UL)
• Number of Receive Antennas : 1 (Cat-1 supports at least two antennas)
• Optional: HD-FDD (Half Duplex Frequency Division Duplex)
• Bandwidth: 20 MHz
• Device power class: 23 dBm
• It is specified in 3GPP Release-13.
• Supports cost reduction features of Cat-0 and in addition following.
• Duplex modes: HD-FDD, FD-FDD, TDD
• Peak data rates: 800 Kbps (DL) and 1 Mbps (UL) using FD-FDD mode and considering scheduling delays. 300 Kbps (DL) and 375 Kbps (UL) using HD-FDD and considering scheduling delays.
• Number of receive antennas : 1
• Bandwidth: 1.4 MHz
• Maximum DL/UL Bandwidth: 6 PRBs (1.080 MHz)
• Higher modulation scheme: 16 QAM
• DL/UL coding scheme : Turbo code
• Max. supported spatial layers: 1 in DL/UL
• Maximum TBS : 1000 bits (DL/UL)
• Device power class: 20 dBm
• This category of LTE-M low cost device supports CE Mode-A (Mandatory) and CE Mode-B (Optionally).
• It is specified in 3GPP Release-14.
• Bandwidth: 5 MHz ( offers transmission in PDSCH and PUSCH using 24 PRBs instead of 6 PRBs ).
• TBS : 4008 bits (DL), 6968 bits (UL)
• Peak data rates: 4 Mbps (DL), 7 Mbps (UL)
NB-IoT Related Stuff
LTE RELATED LINKS
This tutorial section on LTE basics covers following sub topics:
LTE tutorial LTE features LTE terminologies Frame TDD FDD Channel types PHY stack throughput CA cell search network entry Timers PSS vs SSS Security LTE Bands EARFCN Hotspot router What is VoLTE VoLTE originating call flow VoLTE UE attach and registration procedure
Difference between LTE Advanced vs LTE Advanced Pro vs 5G Links
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM