Advantages of LSZH cable | disadvantages of LSZH cable
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of LSZH cable. It mentions LSZH cable advantages or benefits and LSZH cable disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is LSZH cable?
• LSZH is the short form of Low Smoke Zero Halogen.
• These cables are constructed with jacket material free from halogenic materials such as chlorine and fluorine as these chemical have toxic nature when they are burned.
• LSZH cables are used mainly in Europe.
• It is used in shipboard applications and computer networking rooms
where toxic or acidic smoke and fumes can injure people and/or equipments.
• Examples of Halogens include fluorine, chlorine, Bromine and Iodine.
• These materials when burned produce acidic smoke that can cause harm.
• These cables will self extinguish.
Benefits or advantages of LSZH cable
Following are the benefits or advantages of LSZH cable:
➨They are used where people are very near to cable assemblies where they do not get adequate amount of ventilation in the event of fire or there is poor ventilated areas.
➨They are very cost effective.
➨They are used in railway systems where high voltage signal wires are used in underground tunnels. This will reduce possibilities of accumulation of toxic gases when cables get fire.
➨They are constructed using thermoplastic compounds which emit limited smoke with no halogen.
➨They do not produce dangerous gas when they come in contact with high sources of heat.
➨LSZH cable jacket helps in protection of people in the event of fire, smoke and dangerous gas due to burning of cables.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of LSZH cable
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of LSZH cable:
➨LSZH cable's jacket uses high % of filler material in order to offer low smoke and zero halogen. This makes jacket less chemical/water resistant compare to non-LSZH cable counterpart.
➨Jacket of LSZH cable experiences cracks during installation. Hence special lubricants are needed to prevent it from damage.
➨It offers limited flexibility and hence it is not suitable for robotics.