What is Data Deduping | What is Data Deduplication
This page covers data Deduping or data Deduplication definition, data Deduplication working and benefits of data deduplication.
Deduping or deduplication definition
The process of replacing multiple copies of data into single instance storage in order to save storage space/bandwidth is known as data deduping or data deduplication.
It is capacity optimization technique which is used to improve storage efficiency.
Data Deduplication Benefits
Following are the benefits or
advantages of data deduplication to the organizations.
• It helps in satisfying ROI/TCO requirements.
• It helps in managing data growth.
• It helps to increase storage and backup efficiencies.
• It reduces overall storage costs.
• It reduces bandwidth of the network.
• It reduces administrative costs.
• Data deduplication is carried out to replace multiple copies of data with various
levels to a single shared copy. It helps in saving storage space and/or bandwidth.
• Deduplicated data is compressed to reduce its storage requirements further.
The figure depicts data deduplication working. Following operations
are performed in data deduping or data deduplication.
• Evaluate the data and identify redundancy in the database tables.
• Create and update reference information.
• Store and/or transmit unique data once.
• Read and/or reproduce data.
• Perform data deletion/space reclamation.
• Data deduplication has many types viz. Source deduplication, target deduplication, Inline deduplication, Post-process deduplication, fixed length segment deduplication and variable length segment deduplication.
Data Analytics Related Links
what is data analytics
Advantages and Disadvantages of data analytics
What is big data
What is Hadoop
Data Mining Glossary
Data mining tools and techniques
What is Cloud Storage
data mining tutorial
cloud storage tutorial
How does it work
cloud storage security
cloud computing tutorial