Thunderbolt 4 vs USB 4 | Difference between Thunderbolt 4 and USB 4
This page compares Thunderbolt 4 vs USB 4 and mentions difference between Thunderbolt 4 and USB 4 types.
Both are used to connect computing devices such as laptops, desktops and mobile with display of different interface types.
This interface supports data, video and power over single cable connection with speeds of 40 Gbps. Thunderbolt 4 is backward compatible with previous versions of Thunderbolt 3, 2, 1 and USB versions. The devices will be available from Intel before the end of year 2020. It is the successor to Thunderbolt 3 version.
Thunderbolt 4 supports following requirements.
• One universal computer port
• Universal 40 Gb/s cables up to 2 meters in length.
• Supports two number of 4K displays instead of one (or supports one 8K display)
• Accessories with four Thunderbolt ports
• Required PC charging on at least one computer port
• Required PC wake from sleep when computer is connected to a Thunderbolt dock
• Thunderbolt networking (10 Gbps ethernet connection between PCs)
• Mandatory certification for all shipping computers, accessories and cables
• Cable testing and cable quality audits for Thunderbolt cable manufacturers
• Required Intel VT-d based DMA protection
It is published in August 2019. It is successor to USB 3.2 version and designed to support higher speed. It is called superspeed+. It uses type-C connector like Thunderbolt. Various speed levels are supported viz. 10 Gbps, 20 Gbps and 40 Gbps.
USB 4 supports two lane operation using existing USB type-C cables. USB PD supported by USB4 can provide up to 100 Watts.
Thunderbolt 4 vs USB 4
Following table compares Thunderbolt 4 vs USB 4 and mentions similarities and difference between Thunderbolt 4 and USB 4 types.
|Features||Thunderbolt 4||USB 4|
|Minimum PC Speed requirements||40 Gb/s||20 Gb/s|
|Minimum PC Video requirements||Two 4K displays||One display (No minimum)|
|Minimum PC data requirements||PCIe - 32 Gb/s, USB 3.2 - 10 Gb/s||USB 3.2 - 10 Gb/s|
|Minimum PC port power for accessories||15 W||7.5 W|
|Cable length||2 meters||2 to 5 meters as per USB version|