Advantages of oneM2M | disadvantages of oneM2M
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of oneM2M. It mentions oneM2M advantages or benefits and oneM2M disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is oneM2M?
• It defines standards for M2M and IoT (Internet of Things).
• It is supported by equipment vendors and deployed by telecom network operators.
• It attracts and actively involves M2M related business organizations such as telematics, transportation, healthcare, industrial automation, utilities, smart homes etc.
• oneM2M prepares, approves and maintains necessary set of technical specifications and technical reports for various things.
• oneM2M offers end to end M2M services which consists of three layers viz. application layer, common services layer and network services layer.
• The figure-1 depicts oneM2M architecture which consists of AE (Application Entity), CSE (Common Services Entity) and NSE (Network Services Entity). Various reference points viz. Mca, Mcc, Mcn, Mcc' are shown between above entities for specific purposes.
• Major features of oneM2M are as follows.
-Device and application registration
• It provides common technical framework as well as globally recognized standard. It also addresses key business objectives as mentioned in benefits of oneM2M.
• oneM2M offers set of standards which provide horizontal platform architecture. This enables applications to communicate securely through standard APIs to data sources regardless of underlying technology.
• It incorporates common industry IoT protocols such as MQTT, HTTP and CoAP.
Benefits or advantages of oneM2M
Following are the benefits or advantages of oneM2M:
➨Lower costs (CAPEX) : Lower cost of deployment (library of functions), programmers can focus on applications (not on underlying communications), Scale economies of horizontal service layer (common functions for diverse use cases).
➨Lower costs (OPEX) : Efficient communications (Policy driven and event triggered), Sensor data sharing (Produce once, consume many times), Transport economics (use best transport network for business needs)
➨Reduces fragmentation : Common services layer for different verticals and segments eliminates the need for application specific platforms.
➨Enables new business opportunities: service innovation and application opportunities from cross sharing of resources and data across silos.
➨It is interoperable with legacy standards viz. M2M, OMA lightweight M2M, AllJoyn, OIC etc.
➨It uses web based architecture (i.e. RESTful). Hence it can easily discover and access resources (data or devices).
Drawbacks or disadvantages of oneM2M
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of oneM2M.
➨Following are the technological challenges.
-End to end message security
-Many connections per device
-Authentication and authorization mechanisms
➨A device can not make autonomous "judgment calls" on privacy.
-M2M/IoT may expose information about our lives without our awareness.
-Privacy = Who can access information about me.
-CSE needs to determine " Should I allow access?".
-Can's ask human to make case by case judgment call.
-CSE needs clear rules.
➨It should handle large variety of deployments.
➨Any device in any deployment should interoperate.