Advantages of Rhombic antenna | disadvantages of Rhombic antenna
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Rhombic antenna. It mentions Rhombic antenna advantages or benefits and Rhombic antenna disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Rhombic antenna?
• This antenna is made of two V-antennas. The second V-antenna brings two sides back together. This makes it possible to connect balanced lines to single terminating resistor.
• Use of single terminating resistor eliminates grounding problem of V-antenna terminations during transmission.
• The figure depicts radiation patterns of individual radiator elements and combined radiation pattern of the rhombic antenna in the horizontal plane.
• The terminating resistor should be about 600 Ohm value. The input impedance of the antenna varies in the range from 600 to 900 Ohm over octave bandwidth. Input impedance depends on frequency, load resistor and height.
• This antenna operates in HF and VHF frequency bands usually 3MHz to 300MHz.
• Rhombic antenna is used for various applications which include HF communications,
point to point communication, long distance sky wave propagation and so on.
Benefits or advantages of Rhombic antenna
Following are the benefits or advantages of Rhombic antenna:
➨It is easy to connect multiple rhombic antennas.
➨It delivers effective transmission.
➨It is simple in construction.
➨Input impedance and radiation pattarn are constant.
➨Rhombic antenna eliminates grounding problem of V-antenna terminations.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Rhombic antenna
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Rhombic antenna:
➨There is wastage of power in terminating resistor of the antenna. Load absorbs almost half of the transmitter power.
➨It requires large space.
➨It offers reduction in transmission efficiency.
Antenna Related Links
Antenna tutorial Types of antenna TV Antenna TV Antenna Booster Satellite Dish Antenna Mobile Antenna Antenna Installation Antenna Gain calculator Antenna G/T Ratio calculator Parabolic Dish Antenna Antenna Near Field Horn Antenna