Advantages of Push Pull converter | disadvantages of Push Pull converter
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Push Pull DC-DC converter, its Circuit and working operation. It mentions benefits or advantages of Push Pull converter and drawbacks or disadvantages of Push Pull converter.
What is Push Pull converter?
About DC to DC converter:
A dc-dc converter is electronic circuit. The main function of this circuit is to modify one potential difference(i.e. voltage) level to the another potential difference level. It is basically a voltage regulator consisting of switches, inductor and capacitor for power conversion. There are numerous applications of DC-DC converter.
DC-DC converters are divided into following types based on isolation between input and output circuits.
• Isolated DC-DC converter and Non-isolated DC-DC converter
Isolated DC-DC converters are further divided into following sub types.
• Fly-back • Forward • Half bridge • Full bridge • Push Pull
About Push Pull converter circuit working operation:
The figure depicts Push Pull converter circuit. It is a converter circuit that uses push type and pull type device. Push-Pull is a term associated with two switches where each switch is connected to positive or negative leg of the DC power supply. Push-Pull is a DC/DC chopper that is very widespread by reason of more that is calculated by power lost at the terminals of push-pull device.
Features of Push pull converter:
• Push-pull converter grades in easy and compact gating requisite. It has merely two devices in the first section with supply of common ground.
• Push-pull converters make a reduced amount of sound on line as input, have steady input I and are more in higher energy approaches.
• HF transformer separation with the converter is favored to acquire more steps up ratio and the galvanic separation between utility and modules.
• Voltage fed schemes, employs noticeably outsized electrolytic capacitor too curb the big input I ripple leading to large volumes, more priced and concise duration of PV system.
• Current-fed schemes demonstrate subsequent advantages compared to voltage-fed topologies: 1) lesser input I ripple 2) minor turns-ratio of transformer 3) output capacitive filter 4) nil imbalance problem of flux.
• Current-fed chopper suffers from elevated peaks in voltage crossways the switches during switch off. Passive RCD snubber is employed to take up the spike in voltage owing to less efficiency. A non-dissipative snubber is planned to recycle the absorbed power, this amplifies the complexity.
• Active clamping is popularly used due to high efficiency and achieves ZVZCS of the devices at the same time
• To lessen the quantity of the transformer turns ratio and switches voltage doubler is chosen.
Benefits or advantages of Push Pull converter
Following are the benefits or advantages of Push Pull converter:
➨ To drive MOSFETs push pull does not necessitate an isolated power supply
➨ Peak current sensing is required so that the core does not drift into saturation.
➨ Push-Pull is used for freeway access latch release cables and security break cables.
➨ 7V nineteen cables are extremely flexible, making them ideal for pull assemblies.
➨ The Push pull converter is of low cost.
➨ Transformer rating required is smaller than the forward converter.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Push Pull converter
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Push Pull converter:
➨Push pull uses two switches which are not widely used in flux walking phenomena.
➨Central tap transformer is used is one of the main disadvantages.
Conclusion: In order to understand advantages of Push Pull converter and disadvantages of Push Pull converter one has to understand Push Pull converter basics.