Advantages of IGZO display | disadvantages of IGZO display
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of IGZO display. It mentions IGZO display advantages or benefits and IGZO display disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is IGZO?
• It is a compound semiconductor made of Indium, Gallium, Zinc and Oxygen. Hence it is known by acronym IGZO meaning Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide.
• Thin film transistor using IGZO has been developed by Sharp and Semiconductor Energy Laboratory Co. Ltd. It is used in TFT backplane.
• It is developed in Japan. It is licensed by companies such as as Sharp and Samsung.
• IGZO is next generation organic LED display offering high definition at low power consumption.
• It is next generation semiconductor which provides many functionalities at optimum energy consumption.
The figure-1 depicts comparison of IGZO display with traditional TFT display made of amorphous silicon (a-Si).
As shown, it's resolution is two times better than TFT silicon display.
Some of the products using IGZO are as follows:
• Mirror which displays internet and TV
• Mirror which checks health condition
• Interactive table for study
• Glasses which calculates calories
• Blanket with health sensors
Benefits or advantages of IGZO display
Following are the benefits or advantages of IGZO display:
➨IGZO has electron mobility (i.e. Electric Current Speed) 20 to 50 times faster compare to a-Si. This makes further miniaturization of transistor.
➨IGZO display offers twice resolution compare to conventional LCDs.
➨IGZO display offers power savings of 80 to 90% while displaying images compare to LCD display panel.
➨IGZO display panel continues to display images even after power is turned OFF.
➨It is easier to use and delivers more information.
➨It is intuitive in its controls.
➨IGZO display is less influenced by noise.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of IGZO display
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of IGZO display:
➨IGZO is metal oxide and hence high reactivity of oxygen results into very low voltage sensivity of the IGZO display.
➨IGZO uses rare earth metals such as indium and gallium. Moreover manufacturing methods require costly equipments and atmost care. These lead to higher cost of the IGZO display panels.
➨Though it offers faster response time compare to a-Si, it is less than TN & IPS LCD technologies.