What is Optical Transceiver | Function of Optical Transceiver
This page explains basics of optical transceiver.It covers function of optical transceiver used in fiber optical network.
The term Transceiver refers to any device which houses both the transmitter and receiver functionalities in single package. The device which transmits and receives RF signal is known as RF Transceiver. Refer RF Tranceiver➤ for more information.
Similarly the device which transmits and receives optical signal is known as Optical Transceiver. Both the end of fiber optic network will have one transceiver to complete the chain. This is because each optical transceiver composed of one transmitter and one receiver part.
Figure depicts Optical Transceiver from Finisar Corporation.
It has following technical features:
• It supports about 100 Gbps of bit rate.
• It has power dissipation of less than 5 Watt.
• Used for 100 Gigabit ethernet interfaces over single mode fiber cable.
• Supports maximum length of about 10 Km over single mode fiber (i.e. SMF).
• It has 4 x 25 G electrical interfaces.
• Supports 4 x 25Gbps LAN-WDM Transmitter.
Fiber Optic Network and Optical Components Related Links
DWDM system basics Fibre optic communication What is PDMA? What is WDM? SONET SDH tutorial SDH Networks SDH Frame structure SDH Modulation PDH Frame structure Optical Components Optical Isolator Optical Circulator Optical Amplifier Optical Filter Optical Coupler Optical MUX DEMUX Optical Equalizer Optical Switch Wavelength converter