What is MU-MIMO in WLAN 802.11ax | MU-MIMO basics
This page describes MU-MIMO concept used in WLAN 802.11ax standard.It mentions benefits or advantages of MU-MIMO (Multi-User MIMO).
MU-MIMO has been introduced in IEEE 802.11ac. It allows multiple frames to be transmitted to different receivers at the same time on same channel using multiple spatial streams (SSs) in order to provide higher efficiency.
MU-MIMO uses unique modulated complex data streams to multiple clients simultneously using spatial diversity technique. It was implemented only in the downlink of 802.11ac. In 802.11ax MU-MIMO has been implemented both in the downlink as well as uplink direction.
What is MU-MIMO in WLAN 802.11ax ?
• As shown MU-MIMO uses different spatial streams for communication between multiple client devices.
• It uses beamforming technique to provide unique connection with desired clients.
Image Courtesy: Aerohive Networks
• Minimum RU size to use MU-MIMO in 802.11ax is 106 subcarriers or higher.
• IEEE 802.11ax technology uses both MU-MIMO and MU-OFDMA together. OFDMA offers multiuser access by dividing single channel into multiple subcarriers. MU-MIMO offers multiuser access by using different spatial streams.
• MU-MIMO is ideal for very low client density and high BW applications in which large packets are used for transmission.
Benefits or Advantages of MU-MIMO
➨MU-MIMO allows use of up to 8 clients simultaneously.
➨It provides significantly higher data throughput.
WLAN 802.11ac and 802.11ax related links
WLAN 802.11ax tutorial
advantages and disadvantages of 802.11ac
advantages and disadvantages of 802.11ax
Difference between 802.11ac Wave1 and Wave2
Difference between 802.11n,11ac,11ad
WLAN 802.11ac tutorial
WLAN 802.11ac frame structure
WLAN 802.11ac Physical Layer
802.11ac MAC Layer
WLAN 11a,11b,11n,11ac frame structures