LTE small cell vs large cell-difference between small cell and large cell
This page compares LTE small cell vs large cell and mentions difference between small cell and large cell used in LTE heterogeneous networks (HetNet).
The LTE network consists of small cells and large cells. Due to this, this type of network is known as heterogeneous network.
LTE small cell
Following are the features of LTE small cells:
• They are basically RANs (Radio Access Nodes) which supports range of about 10 meters to 1 or 2 Kms. The cell site size is smaller and hence the name.
• They usually operate in licensed and unlicensed frequency bands.
• It uses low power base station or RRH.
• It has hot spot coverage.
• It is used for providing coverage at cell edge of the large cell.
• It is used to provide coverage in the area not covered by the macro network.
• It is suitable for indoor coverage.
• It helps in offloading the traffic from the large cells.
• They are categorized into different types viz. femtocells, picocells and microcells>>
LTE large cell
Following are the features of LTE large cell:
• It uses high power eNBs.
• Here macro-eNB site can be difficult to find.
• There may be many small cells in a large cell.
➨Small cells are applicable in areas not covered by macro network.
➨Small cells are used to increase the capacity in hotspots.
➨Small cells help offload data from large macro cells and hence will help in improving performance of the network.
➨Both small cells and large cells together provide higher bit rates per unit area.
LTE Related Links
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM