OLED vs LED vs LCD | Difference between OLED,LED and LCD
This page compares OLED vs LED vs LCD and mentions difference between OLED, LED and LCD. It also mentions comparison between LED and LCD display types including OLED basics, advantages and disadvantages. It mentions how OLED works.
OLED Basics | What is an OLED
OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode. It is an electronic device made by placing series of organic thin films between the two conductors. A bright light is emitted when electrical current is being applied.
OLED works on the same principle of electro-luminescence. It states that certain metals emit light in response to electric current passing through it.
How OLED Works
As shown in the figure-1, OLED structure consists of
Cathode, Emissive Layer, Conductive Layer, Anode and substrate.
Let us understand how OLED works.
• Due to battery or power supply, voltage is being applied to the OLED.
• As a result current flows from cathode to the anode through the organic layers.
• This process gives electrons to the emissive layer and removes electrons from conductive layer.
• Removal of electrons from conductive layer leave out holes which need to be filled with electrons in emissive layer.
• The holes jump to emissive layer and will recombine with electrons. As electrons drop into holes, they release their extra energy as light. This way light emission takes place in the OLED device.
Types of OLED
Following are the types of OLED:
Advantages and Disadvantages of OLED
Following are the advantages of OLED:
• Thinner, lighter and more flexible
• Brighter and clearer picture
• Consume much less power i.e. power consumption is less.
• Easier to produce and make into larger sizes
• Large field of view i.e. viewing angle.
• It can be printed on various surfaces.
Following are the disadvantages of OLED:
Tabular difference between OLED and LED/LCD
Following table mentions basic difference between OLED and LED/LCD.
|Display size||thin and small||thick compare to OLED display type|
|Viewing angle||wide||narrower than OLED|
|Flexibility||More flexible||Less flexible|
Comparison between LED and LCD
Refer Difference between LED and LCD>> which mentions basic comparison between LED and LCD with respect to their features.