Advantages of IrDA | Disadvantages of IrDA(Infrared)
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of IrDA technology. It mentions IrDA advantages and IrDA disadvantages.
Following are the features of Infrared wireless technology:
• It is developed for point to point links between two devices for data transfer as well as file synchronization.
• It works using infrared light beams. It occupies 300 GHz and 400 THz frequency in optical bands.
• It covers distance of 10 to 30 meters.
• Data rate of upto 4 Mbps can be achieved.
• It supports maximum upto 2 devices.
• The main application is short range, one to one data exchange.
Advantages of IrDA (Infrared)
Following are the advantages of IrDA (Infrared):
➨The devices are very cheap.
➨The devices are compact, light weight and consume low power.
➨The technology based devices are easy to use.
➨It is non interfering from RF waves.
➨It is more secure compare to RF technologies.
Disadvantages of IrDA (Infrared)
Following are the disadvantages of IrDA:
➨It requires both transmitter and receiver to be in line of sight.
➨Devices can not move around while transmission is in progress.
➨Used for very short distance applications.
Refer IrDA Tutorial➤.