FBMC vs UFMC vs GFDM-Difference between FBMC,UFMC and GFDM 5G Waveforms
This page compares FBMC vs UFMC vs GFDM waveforms used in 5G and mentions difference between FBMC, UFMC and GFDM 5G waveforms.
All these techniques have been designed and implemented to overcome limitations of 5G technology, one of them is spectral re-growth.
Figure-1 depicts comparison between LTE and 5G waveforms. As shown 5G waveforms i.e. FBMC, UFMC and GFDM are sharper than LTE power spectrum waveform.
|LTE (scrambler ON)
|LTE (scrambler OFF)
|PAPR for PN9
|PAPR for PN15
|PAPR for PN20
|PAPR for PN23
The table-1 mentions PAPR of LTE (20MHz Bandwidth signal) and 5G waveforms e.g. FBMC, UFMC and GFDM with respect to different PN sequences. These results have been obtained using Rohde & Schwarz 5G Vector Signal Generator and 5G Vector Signal analyzer/spectrum analyzer. The results are very useful for power amplifier characterization. Let us understand these waveforms.
FBMC-Filter Bank Multi Carrier
• The figure-2 depicts FBMC Transmitter block diagram.
• FBMC is the short form of Filter Bank Multicarrier.
• Non adjacent subcarriers are separated perfectly.
• No CP (Cyclic Prefix) needed and hence there is improvement in spectral efficiency.
• Filtering is applied in frequency domain.
• Here non-orthogonal multicarrier modulation technique OQAM is used.
• The ISI problem due to overlapping of time symbols is solved due to OQAM modulation.
• For 64-QAM FBMC waveform performs better than OFDM.
UFMC-Universal Filtered Multicarrier
• UFMC is the short form of Universal Filtered Multicarrier.
• UFMC is complex similar to OFDM and uses same OFDM processing chain. Unlike OFDM, filters are used in UFMC after IDFT modules.
• Figure-3 depicts transmitter and receiver part of UFMC.
GFDM-Generalized Frequency Division Multiplexing used in 5G technology
• GFDM is the short form of Generalized Frequency Division Multiplexing.
• It uses multi dimensional block structure with CP (Cyclic Prefix).
• Circular signal structure (in time & frequency)
• Pulse shaped sub-carriers
• Overlapping sub-carriers
• OQAM is used in GFDM
5G TECHNOLOGY RELATED LINKS
Difference between OFDM, FBMC, OFDMA and FDM
Following links provide difference between OFDM and FBMC as well as difference between OFDM vs OFDMA and difference between
OFDM vs FDM.
OFDM Versus FBMC
OFDM Frame Structure and comparison with OFDMA
Basics of OFDM and difference between FDM and OFDM
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile
wibro vs mobile wimax
Microcontroller vs microprocessor
FDMA vs TDMA vs CDMA
FDM vs TDM
CDMA vs GSM