10 Advantages of Whatsapp | disadvantages of Whatsapp
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Whatsapp and its uses. It mentions benefits or advantages of Whatsapp and drawbacks or disadvantages of Whatsapp.
What is Whatsapp?
• Whatsapp is a freeware application which can be installed on mobile phones, tablets and other computing devices.
• It works on VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol).
• It can be used to send text messages, images, documents, user location, audio/video and other media files etc.
• Whatsapp can be used to make voice calls and video calls to other phones. Both the phones (e.g. caller and called) require whatsapp installation before making calls.
• Whatsapp support variety of operating systems (OSs) such as iOS, android, windows, symbian, blackberry etc.
The figure-1 depicts three modes of whataspp application viz. CHATS, STATUS and CALLS. Using "CHATS" tab, people can chat with one another. Using "CALLS" tab, people can make voice/video calls. STATUS tab allows one to check status of others and update their own status. WhatsApp Status allows people to share text, images, videos and animated images which disappear after duration of 24 Hours.
Uses of Whatsapp
WhatsApp is a versatile messaging application that offers a wide range of uses.
Following are 10 uses of whatsapp for people.
• Text Messaging: The primary function of WhatsApp is to send text messages to individuals or groups, making it an efficient communication tool for personal and professional conversations.
• Voice and Video Calls: WhatsApp allows users to make voice and video calls, both one-on-one and in group settings, making it an alternative to traditional phone calls.
• File Sharing: Users can send various types of files, including documents, images, videos, and audio files, making it useful for sharing work-related documents or personal media.
• Location Sharing: You can share your real-time location with friends or family for easier coordination or safety purposes.
• Group Chats: WhatsApp supports group chats with multiple participants, which is great for discussing projects, planning events, or staying in touch with friends and family.
• Voice Messages: Instead of typing, users can record and send voice messages, making it convenient for quick communication or when typing is not practical.
• Video Status Updates: Users can post short videos or images as their status, allowing friends to see what they're up to or share moments from their day.
• Business Communication: WhatsApp Business is a separate app designed for small and medium-sized businesses to interact with customers, provide customer support, and share updates.
• Broadcast Lists: You can send a single message to multiple contacts without creating a group, which is useful for sending announcements or invitations.
• Encryption and Privacy: WhatsApp is known for its end-to-end encryption, ensuring that your messages and calls remain private and secure, which is crucial for sensitive conversations.
Benefits or advantages of Whatsapp
Following are the 10 benefits or advantages of Whatsapp:
1. WhatsApp is easy to use and doesn't require extensive technical knowledge.
2. It's available on multiple platforms, including android, iOS, web browsers etc.
3. You can send text messages, make voice and video calls for free (data charges may apply).
4. WhatsApp employs strong encryption to secure your messages and calls, ensuring privacy.
5. Real time location, images, videos, documents, voice messages and status updates can be shared with friends and family.
6. WhatsApp supports group chats, making it convenient for discussions among multiple people.
7. High quality voice and video calls are available, even for international calls.
8. It offers a web version that syncs with your mobile app, allowing for easy messaging on a computer.
9. The whatsapp imports all the contacts of the phone automatically and provide information about who all in your contacts are using whatsapp application.
10. No advertisements on the screen to annoy the user.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Whatsapp
Following are the 10 drawbacks or disadvantages of Whatsapp:
1. WhatsApp requires an internet connection, which can be a limitation in areas with poor connectivity.
2. While WhatsApp uses encryption, some privacy concerns have arisen, including data sharing with Facebook.
3. There are limitations on the size of files one can send via WhatsApp, which can be a drawback for sharing large media files.
4. WhatsApp is not immune to spam messages and scams, which can be bothersome and potentially harmful. Need to block self to protect from unauthorized access.
5. WhatsApp requires a phone number for registration, which may be an issue for users who want to maintain anonymity.
6. WhatsApp can consume a significant amount of device storage due to media downloads and message backups.
7. Unlike some other messaging apps, WhatsApp does not offer self destructing message options.
8. WhatsApp has limited customization options compared to some other messaging apps.
9. Group chat notifications can become overwhelming, if you are part of many active groups.
10. While messages are usually small in size, video calls and media sharing can consume considerable data, especially on mobile networks.
Conclusion: Though there are few disadvantages of whatsapp, there are immense advantages of whatsapp. The drawbacks can be overcome by careful attention and proper usage of the whatsapp application. Few suggestions are allow children to use for fixed set duration, keep internet off when you want no disturbance, read the private message & delete it if you want nobody else to read the same, keep the profile very generic, do not share your number with strangers etc.
Advantages and Disadvantages of other wireless technologies
What is Difference between
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
FDMA vs TDMA vs CDMA
FDM vs TDM
CDMA vs GSM