Advantages of Riser cable | disadvantages of Riser cable
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Riser cable. It mentions Riser cable advantages or benefits and Riser cable disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Riser cable?
• Riser (CMR) rated cable complies with UL-1666.
• It is used in commercial buildings. Riser is space used by vertical telecom infrastructure, which connects one floor with the other.
• OFNR (Optical fiber non-conductive riser) are cables without any conductive metal structures which are approved for use in riser application. Most optical fiber cables are made of materials which do not conduct electricity such as glass, plastic etc.
• It is defined for usage in vertical tray applications
such as cable runs between floors through cable risers or in
• These cables must self extinguish.
Benefits or advantages of Riser cable
Following are the benefits or advantages of Riser cable:
➨Its fire resistant characteristics prevent fire from traveling between floors.
➨It is suitable to connect floor to floor with vertical run.
➨These cables are of self extinguishable type.
➨Twisted-pair, coaxial,HDMI and DVI versions of cable are made in riser version.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Riser cable
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Riser cable:
➨The fire requirements on riser cable are not as strict. Hence plenum cable can always replace riser cable,