Advantages of GIS | disadvantages of GIS (Geographical Information System)
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of GIS (Geographical Information System) including its applications. It mentions GIS advantages or benefits and GIS disadvantages or drawbacks. GIS is a Geospatial technology which stands for Geographical Information System.
What is GIS?
• It is business information management system which helps to capture, analyze and represent spatial information on a map.
• It allows us to make better decisions based on geography.
• The data viewing on this digital map is easier than spreadsheets.
• GIS software runs on computers ranging from powerful server to software on the mobile phone.
• GIS tools help to visualize geographic data as maps, graphs or charts. Hence patterns and trends can easily be identified unlike spreadsheets.
• The functions of GIS (Geographical Information System) include data entry, data display, data management, information retrieval and analysis.
• A data model in GIS is mathematical construct which represents geographical objects or surfaces as data.
• There are three common representations of spatial data used in GIS viz. vector, raster and triangulated. Each of these are used for particular kinds of information and their analysis.
• GIS is one of the form of geospatial technology. The other examples include GPS, satellite remote sensing and geofencing.
Following are the applications of GIS (Geographical Information System).
• Retailers use GIS to pinpoint best locations for new stores and stock items which matches local customer needs.
• It is used to predict consequences of global warming by conservation organizations.
• GIS is used by electric utility companies to respond efficiently and promptly about power outages.
• It is used by police to discover patterns in criminal activity.
• It is used for land use planning, landscape assessment and planning, transportation and infrastructure planning, market analysis, facilities management, real estate analysis and so on.
Benefits or advantages of GIS (Geographical Information System)
Following are the benefits or advantages of GIS (Geographical Information System):
➨GIS explores both geographical and thematic components of data in a holistic way.
➨It allows handling and exploration of large volumes of data.
➨It allows integration of data from widely disparate sources.
➨It allows analysis of data to explicitly incorporate location.
➨It allows wide variety of forms of visualization such as maps, globes, reports, charts etc.
➨GIS provides very accurate data.
➨It provides better predictions and analysis.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of GIS (Geographical Information System)
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of GIS (Geographical Information System):
➨GIS tools are expensive.
➨Learning curve on GIS software can be long.
➨It shows spatial relationships but does not provide absolute solutions.
➨Integration with traditional map is difficult.
➨It (Desktop GIS) requires efficient processor and higher storage space.