A2DP vs aptX | Difference between A2DP and aptX
This page compares A2DP vs aptX and mentions difference between A2DP and aptX. The A2DP is bluetooth profile where as aptX is audio codec used in A2DP profile.
Bluetooth is global wireless technology standard which enables convenient and secured wireless connections between range of devices. It operates in unlicensed ISM band at 2.4 to 2.485 GHz using spread spectrum, frequency hopping and full duplex mode at rate of 1600 hops/sec. Bluetooth supports about 10 to 100 meters range.
Bluetooth supports following different versions as per its evolution from initiation.
• Bluetooth classic (Bluetooth BR/EDR) • Bluetooth low energy (Bluetooth smart/bluetooth 4.0) • Bluetooth high speed technology
Following multiple bluetooth profiles are used for audio transmission.
• Hands Free Profile (HFP)
• Headset Profile (HSP)
• A/V Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
• Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)
• Message Access Profile (MAP)
What is A2DP profile?
• A2DP stands for Advanced Audio Distribution Profile.
It is one of the bluetooth profiles used for stereo audio streaming between source to sink.
• The figure depicts two such A2DP application configurations viz. 1. music player as source and headphone as sink 2. Microphone as source and music recorder as sink.
• A2DP profile is widely used between mobile phone (as source) and bluetooth speaker (as sink) as well as between laptop (as source) and bluetooth speaker (as sink).
• In this bluetooth profile, audio is transmitted over ACL data channel and separate control channel is used for controlling the stream.
Following are the features of A2DP bluetooth profile.
-Mono or stereo audio
-Bit rates: 127 to 345 Kbps
-Sampling rates: 16 to 48 KHz
-Audio delay: 100 to 200 ms
-Audio Codec: It uses SBC audio compression algorithm
-Though SBC is used as mandatory codec in A2DP profile, other alternative optional audio codecs can also be used and most common are mSBC, aptX, AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) etc.
What is aptX?
• It is higher quality alternative to SBC codec used in A2DP.
• It has been adopted to many android platforms such as Samsung Galaxy S-Series, Apple OSX devices etc.
The difference between A2DP and aptX is as follows. As described above A2DP is bluetooth profile where as aptX is one of the audio codecs used in A2DP profile.
Previous versions of Bluetooth 5.0 or Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Related Links
Also refer bluetooth tutorial covering following sub topics:
Main Page Frequency PHY Layer MAC layer Stack Power classes Security products Bluetooth Vs BLE Bluetooth vs zigbee Bluetooth Vs WiFi vs NFC vs RFID Difference between Bluetooth Versions
What is Difference between
Following are useful difference between terminologies on various wireless standards/technologies.
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM