OCF,OCS,OFCS in LTE | difference between OCF,OCS and OFCS
This page compares OCF, OCS and OFCS in LTE and mentions functional difference between OCF, OCS and OFCS. OCF stands for Online Charging Function, OCS stands for Online Charging System and OFCS stands for Offline Charging System in LTE technology.
There are two types of charging defined in LTE viz. online and offline. Rf interface is used for offline charging while Ro interface is used for online charging. CTF (i.e. Charging Trigger Function) is embedded in network elements such as P-GW, S-GW and SGSN in order to trigger "charging events"
The figure-1 depicts offline and online charging architecture and information flows.
LTE OCS-Online Charging System | OCF-Online Charging Function
• OCS stands for Online Charging System.
• In OCS, Charging events are received by "Online Charging Function (OCF) ".
• The OCF decides about usage of resources based on Rating Funtion (RF) and Account Balance Management Function (ABMF).
• Figure-2 depicts online charging architecture. In the figure, CTF stands for Charging Trigger Function, OCF stands for Online Charging Function, ABMF stands for Account Balance Management Function and RF stands for Rating Function.
LTE OFCS | Offline Charging System
• OFCS stands for OFfline Charging System.
• In OFCS, charging events are received by Charging Data Function (CDF).
• CDF generates CDRs (charging data records) and transmit the same to CGF (Charging Gateway Function).
• CGF functions as Gateway between the 3GPP LTE network and Billing related systems. CGF module transmits CDRs to billing domain.
• Figure-3 depicts offline charging architecture. In the figure, CTF stands for Charging Trigger Function, CDF stands for Charging Data Function, CGF stands for Charging Gateway Function and BD stands for Billing Domain.
3GPP TS 32.240 version 6.2.0 Release 6