Difference between Doppler spread and Coherence time
This page defines Doppler spread vs Coherence time and mentions difference between Doppler spread and Coherence time.
These terms are related to characteristics of wireless channel.
• Doppler shift is the random changes in a channel introduced as a result of a
mobile user's mobility.
• Doppler spread has the effect of shifting or spreading the frequency components of a signal.
• It is caused by time selective fading. i.e. for a particular instance of time channel behaves as a fading channel and for rest it behaves as FLAT channel.
• Types of fading on the basis of doppler spread are fast fading and slow fading.
• Fast fading : Channel impulse response changes rapidly within the symbol duration.
• Slow fading : Channel impulse response changes at a rate much slower than the transmitted symbol bandwidth.
• Doppler spread is expressed in the following formula. As mentioned, doppler spread is defined as maximum doppler shift (fm).
• The coherence time of the channel is
the inverse of the Doppler spread.
• It is the measure of the speed at which channel characteristics change.
• This determines the rate at which fading occurs. When channel changes are higher than modulated symbol rate, fast fading occurs. When channel changes are slower than the symbol rate, slow fading occurs.
• Coherence time is expressed in the following formula.
Telephony RELATED LINKS
5G NR Numerology | 5G NR Terminology
5G NR Control channels | 5G NR Traffic Channels | 5G NR Reference Signals and sequences
5G TECHNOLOGY RELATED LINKS
This 5G tutorial also covers following sub topics on the 5G technology:
5G basic tutorial
5G Frequency Bands
5G millimeter wave tutorial
5G mm wave frame
5G millimeter wave channel sounding
Difference between 4G and 5G
5G testing and test equipments
5G network architecture
5G NR Physical layer
5G NR MAC layer
5G NR RLC layer
5G NR PDCP layer
LoRaWAN related links
The LoRaWAN Wireless tutorial covers following sub topics:
LoRaWAN Smart Parking LoRaWAN sensor design LoRaWAN smart healthcare system LoRaWAN smart water metering LoRaWAN architecture LoRaWAN Interface Types LoRaWAN roaming types LoRa tutorial LoRa Frequency Bands LoRa protocol stack LoRa MAC layer LoRaWAN classes LoRa features LoRa Transceiver module
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile