XML vs HTML | difference between XML and HTML
This page compares XML vs HTML and mentions difference between XML and HTML. XML stands for eXtensible Markup Language and HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language.
HTML | Hypertext Markup Language
• Figure-1 depicts HTML script example.
• It is the language used to design websites and web applications.
• In general HTML web page is divided into three parts viz. header, body and footer.
• It is used with CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) to simply and minimize long HTML codes. Separate CSS file contains information regarding headers ("h1, h2, h3" etc.), font size, font color, tables("<table>"), images, spacing between texts, paragraphs etc. HTML along with CSS saves lot of work by minimizing codes. Just one CSS file controls multiple HTML files.
• HTML 5.0 is the latest version.
• HTML coding can be done in any text editor such as notepad, textpad etc. and file is saved with .html extension.
• HTML uses specific tags to add different structures e.g. paragraphs ("<p>...</p>"), images ("<img" tag) etc.
• Unlike programming language, It does not use any conditional statements such as arrays, loops or functions.
XML | eXtensible Markup Language
• Figure-2 depicts XML script example.
• It defines set of rules or syntax which can encode documents in such a way which can be readable by machines.
• It helps in opening documents in a browser.
• It can be used for web display. Moreover web services or applications use XML to transmit data requests back and forth over internet.
• XML is a meta language which can be used to develop other languages such as RSS (Rich Site Summary) feed.
XML is not replacement of HTML. Both XML and HTML have been developed with different design goals. Following is the tabular difference between XML and HTML.
|eXtensible Markup Language||Hypertext Markup Language|
|• It has been designed to transport and store data with emphasis on
"what data is".
• XML is all about carrying information.
|• It has been designed to display data with emphasis on "how data looks".
• HTML is all about displaying information.
|XML gives framework to define markup languages.||HTML is markup language itself.|
|XML is neither programming language and nor presentation language.||HTML is presentation language.|
|XML is case sensitive. Hence utmost core is needed in writing XML script.||HTML is not case sensitive.|
|It helps in transporting data between application and database.||It helps in rendering web page on the client side.|
|XML allows custom tag creation and use as desired and hence it is more flexible.||HTML allows use of its predefined tags.|
|XML preserves white space.||HTML does not preserve white space.|
|XML is dynamic in nature as it carries information.||HTML is static in nature as it displays information.|