Home of RF and Wireless Vendors and Resources

One Stop For Your RF and Wireless Need

Difference between DVB-T and DVB-T2 | DVB-T vs DVB-T2

This page compares DVB-T vs DVB-T2 and mentions difference between DVB-T and DVB-T2.

Introduction:
DVB (Digital Video Broadband) is widely used and deployed terrestrial digital video standard. It has become more popular due to reduction in prices of DVB receivers. It has been adopted due to its higher transmission capacity to address issues such as scarcity of the spectrum.

DVB-T and DVB-T2

Initial version of standard is DVB-T and later and more advanced version is DVB-T2. DVB-T2 offers more capacity, more spectral efficiency and more robustness. All the regions which have been deployed with DVB-T can easily be migrated to DVB-T2.

OFDM modulation is used in DVB-T and DVB-T2 technologies. Various bandwidth options, modulation/FEC rates, number of multiple carriers, multiple guard intervals are supported. As shown in the following table, DVB-T2 supports more options compare to DVB-T. DVB-T2 supports multiple PLPs, LDPC coding, MISO etc.

Difference between DVB-T and DVB-T2

Following table summarizes difference between DVB-T and DVB-T2.

Features DVB-T DVB-T2
FEC coding Convolutional coding + RS : 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 LDPC + BCH : 1/2, 3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6
Modulation QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM, 256QAM with constellation rotation
Guard Interval 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 1/4, 19/128, 1/8, 19/256, 1/16, 1/32, 1/128
FFT Size 2K, 4K, 8K 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K, 32K
Scattered pilots 8% of total 1%, 2%, 4%, 8% of total
Continual Pilots 2.0% of total 0.4%-2.4%
Bandwidth 5, 6, 7, 8 MHz 1.7, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 MHz
Typical data rate 24 Mbit/s 40 Mbit/s
Max. data rate ( @ 20dB C/N ) 31.7 Mbit/s 45.5 Mbit/s

ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS LINKS

Variable capacitor
Variable resistor
Transformer basics and types
Ohm law
BJT vs FET
Diac vs Triac
JUGFET vs MOSFET
Analog vs Digital Multimeter
SCR or thyristor
Op-Amp
Halfwave rectifier vs Fullwave rectifier

What is Difference between

difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM

RF and Wireless Terminologies


Share this page

Translate this page