Call types in a telephone switch | Originating, Terminating, Outgoing, Incoming, Intra-office, Tandem
This page defines Call types in a telephone switch.The types of call are Originating call (O), Terminating call (T), Outgoing call, Incoming call (I), Intra-office call, Tandem call, O+T, O+I etc.
All these terms are associated with telephone switch in teletraffic engineering.
Let us define call types with respect to figure above. All are related to MSC (Mobile Switching Center).
• A call placed by a subscriber of the telephone office.
• Example : Suppose caller-A calls callee-B, then for subscriber A it is called originating call.
• A call received by a subscriber of the office.
• Example : Suppose caller-A calls callee-B, then for subscriber B it is called terminating call.
• A call going out of the telephone switch or office.
• A call coming into the telephone office from another MSC.
• A call which originates from and terminates to the same MSC.
• Calls which come in on a trunk from another MSC and go out over a trunk to a different MSC.
• The measure of traffic load on the line side of the MSC both from within the switch and from other telephone switches.
• The measure of incoming trunk circuit traffic load and traffic load on the MSC.