CBR vs VBR | Difference between CBR and VBR
This page compares CBR (Constant Bit Rate) vs VBR (Variable Bit Rate) and mentions difference between CBR (Constant Bit Rate) and VBR (Variable Bit Rate).
CBR-Constant Bit Rate
• Used for timing sensitive traffic e.g. voice, interactive video-conferencing.
• Provides constant data rate
• Provides consistent delay across the network.
• Example: ATM network
VBR-Variable Bit Rate
• There are two modes VBR-nrt and VBR-rt
• Used for bursty data applications
• Provides pre-assigned and variable data rate.
• Examples of VBR-rt: compressed video,audio in tele-conferencing as well as multimedia applications
Following table mentions basic difference between CBR (Constant Bit Rate) and VBR (Variable Bit Rate).
|Features||CBR-Constant Bit Rate||VBR-Variable Bit Rate|
|Timing||Delay variation sensitive||Insensitive to minimal delay variation (VBR-nrt)
Delay variation sensitive (VBR-rt)
|Applications||Video conferencing, video, PBX||Data and imaging in VBR-nrt (non realtime), compressed video, audio and tele-conferencing in VBR-rt (realtime)|