Body Position sensor basics | Accelerometer manufacturers
This page describes Body Position Sensor basics,features and manufacturers. The 3-axis digital accelerometer IC can be used as Body Position Sensor.
Introduction: Elderly and disabled people require to monitor their positions. Accelerometer sensor is used for this purpose. The body position sensor monitors five different positions viz. standing, sitting, supine, inclined, left and right.
Patients with specific diseases such as sleep disorder and restless leg syndrome require monitoring of their positions during treatment. Moreover analyzing movements during sleep period helps in identifying sleep quality and irregular sleeping patterns. It prevents patients to fall or faint by monitoring of their positions when nobody is present near them.
What is Body Position sensor ?
Definition: The sensor such as 3-axis accelerometer can be used as body position sensor. This sensor provides information of patient's position i.e. standing, sitting, supine, inclined, left and right. Such accelerometer based sensor can easily be interfaced with any microcontroller boards such as arduino uno, arduino mega etc.
The features or specifications
of Body Position sensor (i.e. 3-axis accelerometer) part number ADXL345 manufactured by Analog Devices are as follows.
• Functions as 3-axis digital accelerometer
• ±2g / ±4g / ±8g / ±16g selectable range
• Upto 13 bit resolution, resolution increases with "g" range
• I2C and SPI serial interfacing
• Ultra low power consumption (23 µA in measurement mode and 0.1 µA in standby mode at 2.5V)
• 32 level FIFO storage
Body Position sensor Manufacturers
Following table mentions features and part numbers of body position sensor manufacturers.
|Manufacturers||Features with part number|
|• Analog Devices||• Part Number : ADXL345
• Features : As mentioned above
|• STMicroelectronics||• Part Number : LIS2DE12
• Ultra low power consumption down to 2 µA
• ±2g / ±4g / ±8g / ±16g selectable full scales
• I2C/SPI interface output
• 8 bit data output
• 6D/4D orientation detection
• Free fall detection, "sleep to walk" and "return to sleep" functions, motion detection etc.
|• NXP Semiconductors||• Part number : MMA8452Q
• 12 bit and 8 bit digital output
• 1.95 to 3.6 V supply voltage
• User selectable full scales of ±2g / ±4g / ±8g
• I2C digital output interface
• Current consumption : 6 µA to 165 µA