Advantages of millimeter wave (mmwave) radar | disadvantages of millimeter wave (mmwave) radar
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of millimeter wave (mmwave) radar. It mentions millimeter wave (mmwave) radar advantages or benefits and millimeter wave (mmwave) radar disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is millimeter wave (mmwave) radar?
• The millimeter waves fall in EM (Electromagnetic) spectrum like microwave frequencies. They occupy frequency range from 30 GHz to 300 GHz with minimal wavelengths ranging from 10 to 1 mm.
• Due to benefits of millimeter waves such as broad BW, high spatial resolution, size and weight of mmwave equipments, it has been adopted in mmwave radar for various operations.
• The mmwave (millimeter wave) radar is automotive radar used in
active safety systems.
• It sends mmwave frequency to detect the object. This helps in avoiding accident as well as alerts drivers to take avoidance maneuvers while driving.
• Based on range of operation, there are three different types viz. ultra-short range, short range and mid-range mmwave radars.
• It can be used in wide variety of applications viz. self parking, collision avoidance, blind spot detection, lane change assistance, parking assistance, adaptive cruise control, cross traffic warning, 5G cellular networks etc.
Due to recent advances in the technology, the mmwave radars are available for consumers other than military. They are available as separate standalone unit or pre-installed in car or other vehicles. Millimeter wave radar is used for wide variety of applications other than automotive industry. It is used in radio astronomy and to study climate, atmosphere, rain, global warming etc.
Benefits or advantages of millimeter wave (mmwave) radar
Following are the benefits or advantages of millimeter wave (mmwave) radar:
➨They provide more accurate distance measurements of nearby obstacles (i.e. objects and people) when installed in car. This helps in automotic car as well as manual car for many reasons.
➨The computerized system of mmwave radar sends warning messages before possible collision in order to take precaution. It also sends messages to the members of the car owner as per pre-programming in the mmwave radar system.
➨With advancement in mmwave technology, mmwave radar system has become compact and does not occupy more space. This has pioneered people to adopt mmwave radar technology for their use.
➨Antenna sizes are very small and hence large number of antennas are packed in a small area. This leads to millimeter wave technology being used for improvement in capacity. The concept such as Massive MIMO in 5G wireless is result of this.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of millimeter wave (mmwave) radar
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of millimeter wave (mmwave) radar:
➨It is vulnerable to atmosphere and other meteorological parameters. Hence it does not provide accurate distance measurements of nearby objects. This weakens threat identification process.
➨It is over sensitive and often creates false alarm even in the absence of real threat.
➨The mmwave radar technology has limited range which need to be improved in order to expand self driving car market.
➨The operation of millimeter wave radar is affected due to interference from nearby electric poles, cellular towers, WiFi/cellular hotspots etc.
➨As shown in the figure-1 high penetration loss and poor diffraction are some of the challenges which are to be addressed in mmwave radar.
Refer advantages and disadvantages of millimeter wave >> in 5G cellular network.