Advantages of cognitive computing | disadvantages of cognitive computing
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of cognitive computing and its basics. It mentions benefits or advantages of cognitive computing and drawbacks or disadvantages of cognitive computing.
What is cognitive computing?
• It is emerging field of computer science which create computer systems that behave, think and interact the way humans do.
• Cognitive computing systems are developed to emulate human senses such as see, hear, taste, smell and touch.
• Cognitive computing is not a standalone technology rather combination of multiple technologies which include machine learning, machine reasoning, natural language processing, speech recognition, computer vision, HCI (Human Computer Interaction) etc.
• The technology is built to work in sync with humans. Human beings will nurture cognitive computing technology based systems by feeding more information to it.
• The typical applications are cognitive assistants for doctors, automated data scientists, robo advisors for wealth management etc.
Cognitive computing layers, Image courtesy: Cognizant
Cognitive computing system should meet following criterias.
• Adaptive: It should learn as information changes and as goals/requirements evolve.
• Interactive : It should provide users to interact similar to human-human interaction by various means such as touch, voice, gestures, natural language and so on.
• Iterative and Stateful: When requirements are not clear, the system should asking appropriate questions from the users to define problem statement.
• Contextual: It should identify and extract informations such as users details, respective location, time, syntax etc. The system works based on sensory inputs as well as structured/unstructured data sources. The sensory inputs include speech, visual, gesture etc.
• It should process and analyze both real time and near real time data.
Benefits or advantages of cognitive computing
Following are the benefits or advantages of cognitive computing:
➨It helps in improvement of customer engagement and service. This enhancement of customer experience is possible due to use of cognitive applications such as cognitive assistants, social intelligence, personalized recommendations, behavioural predictions.
➨It helps in enhancing employee productivity and quality of service/product outcomes.
➨Every second 1.7 MB of data is generated by each person on the earth. Out of the total, about 99.5% of data is not being analyzed. Once this data is analyzed, it can help in unlocking many business opportunities by identifying right markets , new customer segments, new products to launch and so on.
➨Enterprises can enhance operational efficiency by implementation of cognitive applications such as predictive asset maintenance, automated replenishment systems etc.
➨It helps in providing very accurate data analysis. Hence cognitive systems are employed in healthcare industry.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of cognitive computing
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of cognitive computing:
➨Security is one of the major concern as digital devices manage critical information in cognitive computing.
➨The other big hurdle is its voluntary adoption by enterprises, government and individuals.
➨Change management is another challenge as this technology has power to learn like humans and behave like natural humans. Hence people are fearful as they feel machines would replace humans in future.
➨The cognitive computing based systems/products require lengthy development cycles.