Advantages of LTPS LCD | disadvantages of LTPS LCD
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of LTPS (Low Temperature Polycrystalline Silicon) LCD. It mentions LTPS LCD advantages or benefits and LTPS LCD disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is LTPS (Low Temperature Polycrystalline Silicon) LCD?
• This LCD is next generation technology which is developed based on polycrystalline silicon materials.
• This silicon type is synthesized at relatively low temperatures (about 650oC) unlike traditional methods which use above 900oC.
• Standard LCD based smartphones use amorphous silicon as liquid in the display unit. The LTPS LCD based smartphones use polycrystalline silicon as a result screen resolution and response time of these devices have been improved.
Image Courtesy: Wikipedia
• Driver electronics part for Row and column have been integrated on glass substrate part of the phone.
• The number of components used in the LTPS LCD module are reduced by 40%.
• Polycrystalline silicon consists of various crystallites of grains unlike amorphous silicon as shown in the figure.
Benefits or advantages of LTPS LCD
Following are the benefits or advantages of LTPS LCD:
➨This LCD screen is better in terms of energy consumption (i.e. lower power consumption) and durability.
➨They have high potential for large scale production in electronic devices such as flat panel LCDs, image sensors and so on.
➨It offers dynamic and rich colors.
➨It offers fast response and less reflective in nature.
➨It offers high picture resolution.
➨LTPS LCD screen offers larger pixel densities.
➨It offers lower controlled temperature ranges.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of LTPS LCD
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of LTPS LCD:
➨It deteriorates faster than other LCD types.
➨It is higher in cost.