Advantages of LTN | disadvantages of LTN, Low Throughput Network
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of LTN (Low Throughput Network). It mentions LTN advantages or benefits and LTN disadvantages or drawbacks. It mentions basic features of Low Throughput Network (LTN).
What is LTN (Low Throughput Network)?
• It is a Wide Area Wireless Network technology with specific features compare to existing radio networks.
• It offers long range (about 40 Km) communication at low throughput using minimum power.
• It is ideal for M2M traffic due to low throughput (max. 50 kb/s) and lower latency (ms to second). Usually M2M devices sends few bytes per day/week/month. It is also used for alarm, telemetry, control, sensing and tracking applications.
• LTN networks interoperate with cellular networks to address certain applications.
• LTN network consists of LEPs (LTN End Points) and LAPs (LTN Access Points).
They are supported and managed by Back End Systems. Moreover they deliver end user services via customer
service platforms. Figure-1 depicts LTN network architecture.
• It uses 868 to 915 MHz and 433 to 868/915 MHz (i.e. <1 GHz) frequency bands.
• Typical frame (i.e. payload) size used in LTN is about 12 bytes.
Benefits or advantages of LTN (Low Throughput Network)
Following are the benefits or advantages of LTN (Low Throughput Network):
➨It is a standalone network which provides open interfaces to create ecosystem of end points, access pooints, networks and service providers.
➨LTN end points consume ultra low power. Hence battery life of upto 20 years can be obtained with LTN devices.
➨The network and its elements are optimized for low payload volume and low data rate applications.
➨It offers high budget link to provide improved coverage in urban and underground regions. It covers upto 10 to 12 Km (in city) and 40 to 60 Km (across countryside).
➨It offers low cost of operations, maintenance and ownership.
➨It offers very low latency (from modem to availability of internet) usually in ms to seconds.
➨Transmitted data are encrypted to provide secure communications.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of LTN (Low Throughput Network)
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of LTN (Low Throughput Network):
➨It can not be used for higher data rate applications carrying large amount of payload volume.
➨It is recommended to have high sensitivity receiver with better than -135 dBm.