This tutorial section on LTE basics covers following sub topics:
Main page features terminologies Frame TDD FDD Channel types PHY stack throughput VoLTE CA cell search network entry Timers PSS vs SSS Security LTE Bands EARFCN Hotspot router
In 3GPP work on LTE Advanced was started recently. 3GPP release 10 is considered as LTE Advanced after changes in LTE release 9. LTE Advanced shall fulfill 4G requirements as set by ITU.
LTE advanced features
LTE advanced features are summarized below.
• Peak data rate DL: 1 Gbps, UL: 500 Mbps
• Transmission bandwidth: Wider than approximately 70 MHz in DL and 40 MHz in UL
• Asymmetric bandwidth in DL and UL unlike LTE
• user throughput: two times better than LTE
• Average user throughput: three times higher than that in LTE
• Spectrum efficiency: 3 times higher than that in LTE
• Modulation technique: Hybrid OFDMA in downlink and SC-FDMA in uplink
• Spectrum flexibility: means scalable bandwidth
• Mobility: Same as that in LTE
Coverage is in the micro cell environment and it extends ISD to about 1KM distance. LTE advanced is backward compatible to LTE and other cellular standards.
TR 36.912 Feasibility study for Further Advancements for E-UTRA (LTE-Advanced)
TR 36.913 Requirements for further advancements for Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access
The above documents can be found at