What is 5G NR Bandwidth Part | Function of Bandwidth Part
This page mentions 5G NR Bandwidth Part basics including function of bandwidth part. The different use cases of bandwidth part in 5G NR standard are also mentioned.
The bandwidth part concept is introduced in the 5G NR in order to reduce power consumption of 5G NR devices. For this UE is active on wide bandwidth in bursty traffic situation for short time period and it will be active on narrow bandwidth for rest of the time duration. This is known as bandwidth adaptation.
A bandwidth part (BWP) is subset of contiguous RBs on a carrier. A bandwidth part is a subset of contiguous RBs on the carrier. Upto four bandwidth parts can be configured in the UE for each of the UL and DL, But at a given time, only one bandwidth part is active per transmission direction (either UL or DL). Due to BWP concept, UE can receive on narrow bandwidth part and when required network informs UE to switch on wider BW for reception.
Use cases of Bandwidth part in 5G NR
• Carrier bandwidth part (BWP) is contiguous subset of PRBs (Physical Resource Blocks) defined
for given 5G NR numerology on a given component carrier.
• One or multiple BWP configuration for each component carrier can be assigned to UE. But only one BWP in the downlink (DL) and one in the uplink (UL) is active at given time instant.
• Hence UE cannot transmit PUSCH or PUCCH and cannot receive PDSCH or PDCCH outside an active BWP.
• Configuration parameters for each BWP includes numerology, bandwidth size, frequency location and CORESET (Control Resource Set).
The different use cases of bandwidth part in 5G NR standard based devices are shown in the figure-2.
• (A)-Supports reduced UE bandwidth capability
• (B)-Supports reduced UE energy consumption
• (C)-Supports FDM of different numerologies
• (D)-Supports non-contiguous spectrum
• (E)-Supports forward compatibility
5G NR Numerology | 5G NR Terminology
5G NR Control channels | 5G NR Traffic Channels | 5G NR Reference Signals and sequences
5G TECHNOLOGY RELATED LINKS
This 5G tutorial also covers following sub topics on the 5G technology:
5G basic tutorial
5G Frequency Bands
5G millimeter wave tutorial
5G mm wave frame
5G millimeter wave channel sounding
Difference between 4G and 5G
5G testing and test equipments
5G network architecture
5G NR Physical layer
5G NR MAC layer
5G NR RLC layer
5G NR PDCP layer
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile
wibro vs mobile wimax
Microcontroller vs microprocessor