Magnetometer Sensor Manufacturers | Magnetometer Sensor vendors
This page covers Magnetometer Sensor basics with features of popular Magnetometer Sensor. It mentions Magnetometer Sensor manufacturers or Magnetometer Sensor vendors.
What is Magnetometer Sensor:
• It is an instrument with sensor which measures magnetic field.
• It measures magnetic flux density (B) in units of Tesla or Wb/m2 or kg/(A * s2).
• Magnetometers are used to detect fluctuations in the magnetic field of the earth.
• It is classified into two types viz. scalar and vector.
• Vector magnetometer measures flux density in specific direction in three dimensional space. Example: fluxgate magnetometer.
• Scalar magnetometer measures total strength of the magnetic field.
• Chip based magnetometers are usually vector type which contains three sensors mounted orthogonally i.e. each of them at 90 degrees to the other two.
• It is used for various scientific purposes and for navigation and more. It is also used in smart phones as compass.
• Magnetometer sensors are used along with microcontrollers.
• Refer Article on magnetometer basics and types >> for more information.
Magnetometer Sensor features
Following are the silent features of Magnetometer Sensor (HMC5883L) from Honeywell.
• It is 3-axis magnetoresistive sensor.
• It uses 12 bit ADC to deliver 1 to 2 degrees of compass heading accuracy.
• It has I2C digital interface which can be interfaced with microcontrollers or any other controlling devices.
• It offers wide magnetic field range of measurement.
• It requires low Voltage (2.16 to 3.6V) for its operation and consumes very low power.
• RoHS Compliance
Magnetometer Sensor Manufacturers
Following table lists popular Magnetometer Sensor manufacturers or vendors.
|Magnetometer Sensor Manufacturers||Description|
|Honeywell|| • Model : HMC5883L
• Features as mentioned above
|Freescale Semiconductor|| • Model : FXMS3110
• 3-axis magnetometer sensor
|InvenSense|| • Model: MPU-9250
• It is highly sophisticated IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit).
• It includes 3-axis gyroscope in addition to 3-axis magnetometer and 3-axis accelerometer.
• It can be accessed using I2C or SPI protocol.
|ST Microelectronics (sold by Adafruit)|| • Model : LSM303
• It also contains 3-axis accelerometer in addition to 3-axis magnetometer sensor.
|Bosch Sensortec GmbH||• Module known as ecompass uses two separate sensors integrated within a single LGA package viz. 3-axis magnetometer and 3-axis accelerometer. Magnetometer is used for geomagnetic field detection and accelerometer is used for tilt compensation.|
Basics and Types of Sensors
Proximity Sensor Occupancy Sensor vs Motion Sensor LVDT and RVDT sensor Position, displacement and level sensor force sensor and strain sensor temperature sensor pressure sensor Humidity sensor MEMS sensor Touch sensor Haptic sensor Wireless sensor