ISDN BRI vs ISDN PRI-Difference between ISDN BRI and ISDN PRI
This page compares ISDN BRI vs ISDN PRI and mentions difference between ISDN BRI (Basic Rate Interface) and ISDN PRI (Primary Rate Interface).
ISDN is the short form of Integrated Services Digital Network. As the name suggests, it is used to replace old analog local loop connection provided to the subscriber. It allows PCs to directly use the digital line connections without the need of modem.
It uses same twisted pair cable used earlier for digital data transmission.
The main application of ISDN is high speed internet.
Refer ISDN tutorial➤ for more information on ISDN architecture.
ISDN BRI-Basic Rate Interface
• This ISDN interface type uses single twisted pair for signal transmission.
• ISDN BRI interface uses time multiplexing of 2 bearer channels ('B') for voice and 1 channel for Data control ('D').
• Each B channels have capacity of 64 Kbps while D channel has capacity of 16 Kbps.
• B-channel carry all types of data including voice while D-channel carry signalling and control functions e.g. busy signal, dial tones etc.
• In ISDN BRI, one B channel is normally used as transmission line and the other B-channel is used as receiving line.
• It is mainly used to provide single connection to home premises.
ISDN PRI-Primary Rate Interface
• The ISDN PRI interface uses 23 numbers of B channel and 1 number D channel.
• Each B channel has capacity of 64 Kbps while D channel has capacity of 64 Kbps. This leads to total capacity of 1.536 Mbps on ISDN PRI interface.
• ISDN PRI is mainly used to provide connection to larger office premises. It creates small PBX in the large company.
• It is T1 compliant interface. Refer T1 frame vs E1 frame➤ for more information.
ISDN RELATED LINKS
What is Difference between
FIR filter Vs. IIR filter
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee