Capacitive sensing vs optical sensing-Difference between Capacitive sensing and optical sensing
This page compares Capacitive sensing vs optical sensing and describes difference between Capacitive sensing and optical sensing.
There are four main types of sensing techniques used in biometric identification which include optical sensing, thermal sensing, capacitive sensing and ultrasound sensing. In this page we will provide comparision between capacitive and optical sensing techniques.
• Fingerprint consists of tightly spaced ridges and valleys.
• As shown in the figure-1 sensor consists of a capacitive array.
• The capacitive array acts as one plate of a capacitor while the finger acts as the other plate.
• Each pixel in the array is charged charged to reference voltage which are allowed to discharge
with reference current.
• The rate of change of potential at each pixel is proportional to capacitance seen by the array.
Iref = C*dv/dt This principle is used in the design of capacitive sensing.
Let us understand principle used in optical sensing technique.
• As shown in the figure-2 finger touches light emitting tactilesense polymer.
• Photodiode array embedded in the glass detects illumination.
• Image is captured and transferred for storage.
As shown in the figure-3, sensing is done by projecting image of fingerprint onto camera by total internal reflection.
Following points further summarize comparison between capacitive sensor and optical sensor types.
➨Capacitive Sensors provide:
-can be embedded into small devices
-prone to dirt etc. since finger touches silicon
➨Optical sensor provide:
-Large sensing area since manufacturing large pure silicon chips is very expensive.
-More robust and longer life.
-Better image quality and higher resolution
Sensors and Transducers Related Links
IoT compliant sensors
Article on basics of Sensors and transducers
Occupancy Sensor vs Motion Sensor
LVDT and RVDT sensor
Position, displacement and level sensor
force sensor and strain sensor
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile