What is AeroMACS | Benefits or Advantages of AeroMACS system
This page describes AeroMACS system basics. AeroMACS stands for Aeronautical Mobile Airport Communications System. The benefits or advantages of AeroMACS system are also mentioned.
As we know advances in telecommunication technologies are helping to make better ATM (Air Traffic Management), reduction in flight delays, reducing airport congestion, improvement in air safety and security. This requires better communication links between aircraft and ground systems. AeroMACS system has been designed to address this and more.
What is AeroMACS system?
• It is wireless broadband technology developed based on IEEE 802.16e
standard by WiMAX Forum. The latest revision to the wimax standard is IEEE 802.16-2009.
• It operates in protected and licensed frequency band 5091 to 5150 MHz as designed by ITU at WRC.
• It supports channels with 5 MHz bandwidth, OFDMA modulation with complex modulation schemes (QPSK, 16-QAM, 64-QAM) along with TDD duplexing method.
• It supports average data rate of about 5 to 10 Mbps and coverage distance of about 5 Km range.
• It takes care of fixed and mobile ground communications between aircrafts and air traffic control unit.
• When aircraft is in the sky, communication link between aircraft and ground rely on existing VDL (VHF digital link) and future L band satellite systems such as LDACS system.
• When aircraft lands and it is on ground it establishes connection with AeroMACS network in order to exchange data with ground systems and start using various ATM applications.
• AeroMACS ecosystem is combination of aviation authorities, airports, air carriers, network operators, equipment vendors and service providers.
There are many applications of AeroMACS system as shown in the figure-1.
Benefits or Advantages of AeroMACS system
Following are the benefits or advantages of AeroMACS system:
➨It makes ground to aircraft communication better due to increased capacity and higher bandwidth compare to wireline and existing wireless networks.
➨Video connectivity has become possible which provides realtime support in case of emergencies from medical personnels. It helps to obtain first aid support before aircraft reaches to the main gate where all the necessary resources are available.
➨It supports data, voice and video applications.
➨It requires low cost to install and maintain the network compare to other expensive systems.
➨It offers security and privacy as it supports AAA (e.g. PKMv2, EAP), encryption, digital certificates (e.g. ITU.T X.509, AES) and VPN protocols.
LDACS(L Band Digital Aeronautical Communication System) RELATED LINKS
Difference between LDACS1 versus LDACS2
LDACS1 frame structure
LDACS2 frame structure
LDACS1 physical layer
LDACS2 physical layer
Difference between TDD and FDD
Air Traffic Management
Aircraft Radio Frequencies
Advantages and Disadvantages of other wireless technologies
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile
wibro vs mobile wimax
Microcontroller vs microprocessor
FDM vs TDM
wimax vs lte
RF heterodyne versus homodyne receiver
white noise Vs. colored noise
FIR filter Vs. IIR filter
HSDPA vs HSUPA
SCPC Vs. MCPC