PTMP vs Mesh | Difference between PTMP and Mesh network
This page on PTMP vs Mesh covers difference between PTMP(Point to Multi Point) and Mesh(PTP) network types.It describes basics of PMTP and Mesh(PTP) networks. PTMP stands for Point to Multi Point and PTP stands for Point to Point.
Both PTMP and Mesh are types of network architectures commonly in use. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Optimal combination of both have been leveraged in the system deployment or network roll-out to have strengths of both.
PMTP-Point to Multi Point Network
Figure-1 depicts PTMP network used in satellite communication.
Here signal is transmitted by Hub station to the satellite which is later relayed or
broadcasted to multiple remote VSATs.
The other example is used in TV signal broadcasting. Here signal is first transmitted to the satellite which is later relayed to many disc TV antennas over larger area of the earth.
Usually in PMTP, there will be one station (i.e. Hub or TV station) which transmits point to point and other station (i.e. satellite) which transmits to multi points(i.e. VSATs or disc antennas).
• Covers larger area.
• Complete access of entire network from one location.
• Easy upgradation of the system
• Easy maintenance and monitoring
• LOS is challenging in urban areas.
• Failure at central location leads to entire system failure, backup or redundant systems need to be employed to overcome.
• Expensive site acquisition and construction
Mesh Network-PTP (Point to Point)
The figure-2 depicts Mesh network architecture. In mesh all the stations communicate directly without the need of central device (i.e. Hub or TV station). It can also referred as PTP or Point to Point configuration.
• Easy to deploy or install
• Provides high system capacity
• Ideal for NLOS environments and dense urban areas
• Failure of any station does not affect others.
• Complex to maintain and monitor and central access is not available.
• Needs economics for sparsely populated areas
• Requires management of many distributed assets
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile