LiFePO4 battery Vs Li-Ion battery-Difference between LiFePO4 battery and Li-Ion battery
This page compares LiFePO4 battery Vs Li-Ion (Lithium-ion) battery and mentions difference between LiFePO4 battery and Li-Ion battery types. The advantages and disadvantages of LiFePO4 (Lithium-ion Phosphate) battery and Li-Ion battery are also mentioned.
LiFePO4 battery | Lithium-ion Phosphate battery
Following are the features of LiFePO4 battery.
• The term LiFePO4 stands for lithium-ion phosphate.
• It is one type of rechargeable battery also known as LFP battery.
• It uses LiFePO4 as cathode and graphite carbon electrode with metallic grid as anode.
• It is used in vehicles, security lighting systems and as backup power due to lower cost, lower toxicity, long term stability and better performance.
• Cell voltage during operation is between 3 to 3.3 V.
• It offers volumetric energy density of about 220 Wh/dm3.
• It offers more than 10 years and cycle durability of about 2000 cycles.
Li-Ion battery | Lithium Ion Battery
Following are the features of Lithium Ion battery.
• It is one of the rechargeable battery type used in home electronics.
• In Lithium Ion battery, lithium ions move from negative electrode towards positive ones during discharge phase and back during charging phase.
• The battery uses intercalated lithium compound as one of the electrode material.
• The battery cell houses electrolyte and two electrodes. The electrolyte allows ionic movement.
• They have silent features such as higher energy density, lower self discharge and tiny memory effect.
Following table mentions comparison between LiFePO4 battery and Li-Ion battery.
|Features||LiFePO4 battery||Li-Ion battery|
|Energy density in Wh/Kg||90 to 120||150 to 180|
|V(nom)/cell||3.2 V||3.6 V|
|V(charging)||3.5 to 3.65 V||3.9 to 4.2 V|
|Advantages||• High Current rating
• Good thermal stability
• Safer compare to Li-Ion battery
• Tolerant to full charge conditions
|• High energy density
• Long life time
• Offers high voltage per cell of about 3.6 V and hence single cell can be used for space savings requirements.
|Disadvantages||• Offers Lower voltage per cell of about 3.2 V
• High self discharge which can cause balancing issues with aging
|• It is fragile and hence requires protection circuit for safe operation
• Peak voltage is limited during charging
• It requires monitoring of temperature
• It is expensive
Variable capacitor Variable resistor Transformer basics and types Ohm law Resistor basics Electrolytic capacitor Capacitor basics Inductor basics Relay Reed Switch SCR or thyristor Halfwave rectifier vs Fullwave rectifier
what is difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile