Ku Band Frequency Values | Ku Band Frequency Advantages,Applications
This page mentions Ku Band Frequency Values, Ku Band Frequency Applications and advantages of Ku Band frequency.
|Frequency Band Designation||Frequency Range||Wavelength|
|Ku Band||12 to 18 GHz||2.5 to 1.7 cm|
The Ku band frequency lies between X Band and K Band as shown in the figure-1 below. As mentioned in the table, it lies from 12 GHz to 18 GHz in the frequency spectrum with wavelengths between 1.7 centimeters to 2.5 centimeters.
Ku Band Frequency Advantages and Disadvantages
Following are the advantages of Ku Band Frequency over other frequency bands.
➨It allows smaller dish antennas for VSAT applications. Hence installation is cheaper and easy.
➨Higher satellite transponder power is available in certain situations.
➨Ku band incurs lesser terrestrial interference.
The disadvantages of Ku band are as follows.
➨Ku band signals are susceptible to rain fading.
➨Due to narrow beam it can cover less area on the earth.
Ku Band Frequency Applications
Following are the applications of Ku Band Frequency.
• It is used in Ku Band VSAT. Here Ku band uplink frequency used is from 14 to 14.5 GHz and downlink frequency used is from 10.95 GHz to 11.7 GHz.
• It is used for fixed satellite broadcast services.
• It is used for space shuttle communication by tracking data relay satellite of NASA.
• It is used for International Space Station communication by NASA.
• Refer difference between Ku Band and C Band >> VSATs.