CPRI vs eCPRI | difference between CPRI and eCPRI used in 5G
This page compares CPRI vs eCPRI and describes difference between CPRI vs eCPRI. The interface CPRI is used in legacy systems where as eCPRI is used in 5G wireless technology.
• CPRI defines key interface specification between REC (Radio Equipment Control) and RE (Radio Equipment) of radio base stations used for cellular wireless networks. CPRI is the short form of Common Public Radio Interface. CPRI is popular standard for transporting baseband I/Q signals to the radio unit in traditional BS (Base Station). CPRI allows efficient and flexible I/Q data interface for various standards e.g. GSM, WCDMA, LTE etc.
• eCPRI is published after CPRI. eCPRI standard defines specification which connects eREC and eRE via fronthaul transport network. It is used for 5G systems LTE-Advanced and LTE-Advanced Pro.
CPRI | Common Public Radio Interface
The figure-1 above depicts CPRI system and Interface definition.
The figure-2 depicts typical CPRI network elements. Following are the features of CPRI.
➨It is point to point interface.
➨Master and slave ports are directly connected with the help of optical or electrical cables in CPRI.
➨Networking layer functions are not supported by CPRI.
➨The topologies in CPRI depend on REC /RE functions.
➨Following logical connections are supported in CPRI.
• Point to Point (One REC with one RE)
• Point to Multi-Point (One REC with several REs)
➨Redundancy, Security, QoS etc. functions are supported by REC/RE.
The figure-3 above depicts eCPRI system and Interface definition.
The figure-4 depicts typical eCPRI network elements. Following are the features of eCPRI.
➨The network consists of eCPRI nodes viz. eRECs/eREs, transport network and other network elements such as GM/BC used for timing and EMS/NMS for network management.
➨Master port/slave ports classification at physical level is not supported.
• SAPS: master of PTP and synchronous ethernet is not eREC in general.
• SAPCM: some of M-plane may be managed by EMS/NMS.
➨eCPRI layer lies above the transport networking layer.
➨Transport network may include some local networks e.g. local switches provided by eREC/eRE vendors.
➨Following logical connections are supported by eCPRI.
• Point to Point
• Point to Multi-point
• Multi-point to Multi-point
➨eCPRI nodes need to implement proper transport network layer protocols to support features such as redundancy, security and QoS etc.
CPRI Specification V7.0 (2015-10-09)
eCPRI Specification V1.0 (2017-08-22)
CPRI Related Links
5G TECHNOLOGY RELATED LINKS
This 5G tutorial also covers following sub topics on the 5G technology:
5G basic tutorial
5G Frequency Bands
5G millimeter wave tutorial
5G mm wave frame
5G millimeter wave channel sounding
Difference between 4G and 5G
5G testing and test equipments
5G network architecture
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile
wibro vs mobile wimax
Microcontroller vs microprocessor