Bipolar vs CMOS vs BiCMOS-Difference between Bipolar,CMOS,BiCMOS
This page compares Bipolar vs CMOS vs BiCMOS and mentions difference between Bipolar, CMOS and BiCMOS technologies.
Following are the characteristics or benefits of Bipolar technology:
• Higher switching speed
• It offers high current drive per unit area and high gain
• Generally better noise performance and better high frequency characteristics
• It has better analogue capability compare to others.
• Improved I/O speed.
• It offers high power dissipation.
• lower input impedance (high drive current)
• low packing density.
• low voltage swing logic.
• It offers lower delay sensitivity to load.
• high gm (gm α Vin)
• It offers high unity gain bandwidth at low current
• They are basically unidirectional devices.
Following are the characteristics or benefits of CMOS technology:
• It offers high noise margins.
• It has low static power dissipation compare to other technologies.
• It offers high packing density
• It offers high yield along with large integrated complex functions.
• It has low manufacturing cost per device.
• Scalable threshold voltage
• It has High input impedance and low drive current.
• It offers higher delay sensitivity to load (i.e. it has fan out limitation.)
• It has lower trans-conductance, here trans-conductance gm α Vin
• It has lower output drive current (This will have issue while driving higher capacitive loads)
• A near ideal switching device
• Bi-directional capability (drain & source are interchangeable)
Following are the characteristics of BiCMOS technology:
BiCMOS combines both Bipolar and CMOS technologies in single IC. As we know CMOS has merits over bipolar in areas of low power dissipation, large noise margins and greater packing densities. Bipolar has merits over CMOS in areas of faster switching speed and large current cababilities.
BiCMOS utilizes benefits of both Bipolar and CMOS technologies.
Refer BiCMOS basics and devices➤.
Above sections provides comparison between Bipolar, CMOS and BiCMOS technologies. These are some of the points, for more information readers need to go through fabrication procedure for Bipolar, CMOS and BiCMOS.
Difference between SCR, Diac, Triac, UJT and junction Transistor
Refer Difference between SCR,DIAC,TRIAC,UJT➤➤ with respect to structure, circuit symbol and characteristics.
Electronic RELATED LINKS
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM