Advantages of Agriculture Drones | disadvantages of Agriculture Drones
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Agriculture Drones. It mentions Agriculture Drones advantages or benefits and Agriculture Drones disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Agriculture Drones?
• The small aircraft which operates by itself without any human being is known as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. It is also referred by its abbreviation as UAV. It is popularly known as Drone. The drone used for agricultural activities is known as agriculture drone. It is mainly used to assist in crop production and to monitor crop growth.
• The drone can be either remotely controlled or it can travel as per predefined path using complex automation algorithm built during its development.
• It uses advanced agriculture Sensors and digital imaging capabilities including high resolution camera.
• It uses wireless chip for wifi and/or cellular connectivity as per design.
• Refer drone tutorial >> for more information.
Agricultural drones are used for following applications.
• To monitor plant health
• To count number of plants
• To spray pesticides and insecticides on the crops
• To schedule seeding and harvesting processes at appropriate time as needed
• To reduce usage of scarce resources
• Recording data for future analysis
Benefits or advantages of Agriculture Drones
Following are the benefits or advantages of Agriculture Drones:
➨It helps in achieving more yields by using resources effectively. It provides good ROI (Return on Investment).
➨Drones are used in large scale farming for spraying of insecticides and pesticides due to its remote control operation from distant.
➨It helps in monitoring environmental data which helps in smart farming.
➨It helps farmers in scouting their fields quickly and efficiently. This saves time in determining status of fields.
➨They are easy to use with very basic training.
➨Latest agriculture drones help in collecting data which helps in improving crop health.
➨It has integrated GIS (Geographic Information System) mapping. It helps in storing and analyzing all types of geographical and spatial data. It helps farmers in mapping in order to boost yields and in cutting costs to take business forward.
➨With push of a button drone can return home.
➨Thermal cameras help in finding wet and dry patches. This helps farmers avoid wastage of water.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Agriculture Drones
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Agriculture Drones:
➨It requires basic knowledge and skills to operate the agriculture drones.
➨Most of the drones have less flight time and covers less area. Drones having long flight time and long range are costlier. Drones having more features are also more expensive.
➨Need to obtain government clearance in order to use it.
➨It uses same air space as commercial aircrafts and hence may interfere with manned aircrafts if it comes in their flight path.
➨It is difficult to fly them in extreme conditions.