Advantages of smart city | disadvantages of smart city
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of smart city. It mentions smart city advantages or benefits and smart city disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is smart city?
• A city equipped with basic infrastructure to give a decent quality of life, clean and sustainable environment through application of some smart solutions in following areas viz. economy, mobility, technology, energy, infrastructure, environment, people, living and government. Smart city is about creating better place for people.
• In other words, smart city is the one which has digital technology embedded across all the city functions. It also uses ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) to provide better quality and performance.
➨The figure-1 depicts components of a smart city which include smart economy, smart people,
smart governance, smart environment, smart living, smart technology, smart energy,
smart healthcare, smart mobility and so on.
• Smart Economy: It provides high quality high paying jobs while supporting local business to compete globally.
• Smart People:They are knowledgeable workforce who use information and technology, embraces creativity and innovation and explores new ways of doing things. They are supported by community leaders, mentors and are the needs of the employers today and tomorrow.
• Smart Governance: It ensures that things available in the city are effectively used to fulfill better living.
• Smart Environment: It helps in achieving good growth while protecting resources. It harmonizes living and workspace. It balances energy supply and energy use.
• Smart Living: It provides opportunities for healthy lifestyle for all the citizens including quality healthcare, education and safety.
• Smart Technology: It uses latest wireless technologies such as zigbee, zwave, bluetooth, LoRaWAN etc. in addition to IoT (Internet of Things) network architecture. It helps in automating household devices and more.
• Smart Energy: It uses smart grid to provide continuous electricity with facility to conserve the power/energy. Refer advantages of Smart grid >>.
• Smart Healthcare: It uses latest facilities to patients including remote monitoring etc. to provide better healthcare.
• Smart Mobility: It uses modern transportation systems using latest technologies to have smart mobility solutions for human beings.
Benefits or advantages of smart city
Following are the benefits or advantages of smart city:
➨It helps people to live, work and play with others while requiring fewer resources.
➨It makes life easier by operating community's systems efficiently including physical systems (e.g. transport, power, water) as well as administration.
➨Smart energy systems help in conserving energy which helps in reducing costs.
➨It employs real time monitoring to address water leaks, sewage and drainage issues.
➨The use cases such as smart parking, smart lighting helps in saving time and money.
➨Production: It provides organic food, safe products and reduces cost of delivery.
➨It helps in controlling water, environment and conservation of animal populations.
➨It helps in smart waste management, recycling and reuse.
➨It makes mobile payments easier and creates online ordering apps.
➨It has delivered intelligent rail and other transit solutions. The asset tracking, smart roads, fleet management has become possible due to smart city solutions.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of smart city
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of smart city:
➨Business models to roll out smart technologies are still under developed.
➨Even if money was available, most of the smart technologies are still in their pre-commercial stage. Cities lack technology related skills and capacity.
➨Cities find it difficult to work across departments and boundaries.
➨There are concerns about data privacy and security.
➨Councils, businesses and other involved parties do not fully understand value and benefits which the data can generate. It makes it difficult to release the business case for implementation.
➨Its adoption requires knowledge on different technologies in order to use it. Without training people find it irrelevant to their daily lives and difficult to use.
➨Also refer advantages and disadvantages of smart home >>.