Advantages of Written Communication | Disadvantages of Written Communication
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Written Communication. It mentions Written Communication advantages and Written Communication disadvantages.
Following are the types of communication used by people.
• Written communication - formal, informal
• Verbal communication - formal, informal
• Non verbal communication
• Paralingual communication: It is the tone and pitch of your voice when you are talking to people.
• Formal written communication examples include Complex problems, project charter, project plan,
blueprints, legal documents etc.
• Informal written communication examples include Memos, sticky notes, e-mail etc.
Advantages of Written Communication
Following are the advantages of Written Communication:
➨This form of communication provides written records and evidence of dispatch and receipt.
➨This communication type is capable of relaying complex ideas.
➨It provides analysis evaluation and summary report.
➨It helps in distributing information to people located in different parts of the world.
➨It helps in confirmation, interpretation and clarification of oral communication type.
Disadvantages of Written Communication
Following are the disadvantages of Written Communication:
➨It takes time to produce and can be expensive.
➨As it is more formal and distant; this cause problems in interpretation.
➨This communication method does not provide instant feedback and will take time to respond.
➨Once it is dispatched or out of the hands of the sende, it is difficult to modify.
➨It does not allow immediate exchange of opinion , views or attributes.