Advantages of Stepper Motor | disadvantages of Stepper Motor
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Stepper Motor. It mentions Stepper Motor advantages or benefits and Stepper Motor disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Stepper Motor?
• It is an electromechanical device which converts electrical pulses into discrete mechanical movements.
• The spindle of stepper motor rotates in discrete steps when electrical pulses are applied in proper sequence.
• Sequence of pulses is directly related to direction of motor shafts rotation. Speed of motor shafts rotation is directly related to frequency of pulses. Moreover the length of rotation is directly related to number of applied input pulses.
• As shown there are two main parts viz. stator and rotor. It draws power for its stator coils at constant level which does not vary with speed.
Following are the three main types of stepper motors.
• Variable reluctance stepper motor
• Permanent magnet stepper motor
• Hybrid synchronous stepper motor
• Bipolar stepper motor
• Unipolar stepper motor
Stepper motors are used for various applications which include industrial machines,
surveillance products, medical scanners, fluid pumps, consumer electronics etc.
Benefits or advantages of Stepper Motor
Following are the benefits or advantages of Stepper Motor:
➨The percentage step error does not accumulate as the motor rotates.
➨It is able to run at wide range of speeds, including very slow speeds without reduction gearing.
➨Stepper motor provide excellent response during start, stop and reverse mode.
➨It is highly reliable since no brushes or commutator are used. Its life time depend on life of the bearing.
➨Stepper motor control circuit is simple and low cost. It is mainly used for low power applications.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Stepper Motor
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Stepper Motor:
➨Noise and vibration
➨Resonance occurs if it is not properly controlled.
➨Progressive loss of torque at high speeds. Hence it is not easy to operate at extremely high speeds.