Advantages of Sound Energy | Disadvantages of Sound Energy
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Sound Energy. It mentions Sound Energy advantages or benefits and Sound Energy disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Sound Energy?
• Sound energy is caused by vibration of particles in matter.
• Sound is mechanical wave which needs medium to travel through.
• Sound energy is generated by drums, guitar or radio. Usually it is in the form of mechanical energy.
• Sound energy is converted to electrical form and vice versa. Microphone is used to convert sound energy into electrical form and loudspeaker is used to convert electrical form of sound into mechanical vibrations which are propagated through the space.
• Sound stores energy which causes our eardrums to vibrate so that we can hear.
• There are various uses of sound energy in our daily life such as listening to music, watching TV, talking to person over phone.
Advantages of Sound Energy
Following are the advantages of Sound Energy:
➨The operation and maintenance are very low.
➨It does not requier any kind of fuel.
➨It is renewable source of energy.
➨It is pollution free.
➨Sound energy can be easily converted into electrical energy and vice versa.
➨The sound of whale song can travel longer distance.
➨It can not be used in places where decibel of sound is very low.
Disadvantages of Sound Energy
Following are the disadvantages of Sound Energy:
➨Sound waves can not be seen and hence we can not see pressure waves due to sound energy.
➨In certain situations, sound energy can break the glass.
➨Sound can not travel through the vacuum.
➨The sound energy should be below certain power level, otherwise it can be annoying to human beings. Often it can damage the hair cells of inner ear permanently which leads to hearing loss.