Advantages of Smart Agriculture | disadvantages of Smart Agriculture
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Smart Agriculture. It mentions Smart Agriculture advantages or benefits and Smart Agriculture disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Smart Agriculture?
• The agriculture sector fulfils demand of food of the nation. The agriculture which uses Sensors and latest technologies such as IoT/cellular is known as smart agriculture or smart farming.
• Sensors help in mapping fields to understand their micro-scale in order to conserve resources such as water, fertilizer etc.
• After mapping of crop yields, farmers could monitor and apply fertilizer and weed treatments only to required areas.
• Smart agriculture came to existence when GPS became available for civilian use.
• Smart agriculture use IoT and cellular wireless technologies for remote connectivity.
As shown in the figure-1, sensors are mounted for different applications which are monitored and controlled using mobile phone apps. Sensors are installed for measuring air and soil temperature, humidity, solar radiation, wind speed, wind direction, rainfall, atmospheric pressure, leaf wetness and fruit or trunk diameter.
Benefits or advantages of Smart Agriculture
Following are the benefits or advantages of Smart Agriculture:
➨It allows farmers to maximize yields using minimum resources such as water, fertilizers, seeds etc.
➨Solar powered and mobile operated pumps save cost of electricity.
➨Smart agriculture use drones and robots which helps in many ways. These improves data collection process and helps in wireless monitoring and control.
➨It is cost effective method.
➨It delivers high quality crop production.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Smart Agriculture
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Smart Agriculture:
➨The smart agriculture needs availability of internet continuously. Rural part of most of the developing countries do not fulfil this requirement. Moreover internet connection is slower.
➨The smart farming based equipments require farmers to understand and learn the use of technology. This is major challange in adopting smart agriculture farming at large scale across the countries.