Advantages of Plenum cable | disadvantages of Plenum cable
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Plenum cable. It mentions Plenum cable advantages or benefits and Plenum cable disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Plenum cable?
• Plenum (CMP) rated cable complies with NFPA-262 and UL-910. The word "plenum" refers to airspace used for air circulation by HVAC system e.g. raised floor or drop ceiling.
• These cables are designed with jacket made of materials which give off low amounts of smoke. Moreover it slows down spread of flames.
• One popular jacket material is Fluorinated Ethylene Polymer (FEP). It is more softer and pliable version of Teflon® (also known as PTFE).
• It is the only cable allowed in spaces defined as air plenums such as raised flooring systems and air handling ducts.
• Plenum cables must self extinguish and not re-ignite.
• OFNP (Optical Fiber Non-conductive Plenum) are similar to OFNR but it uses jacket suitable for plenum airspaces.
Benefits or advantages of Plenum cable
Following are the benefits or advantages of Plenum cable:
➨It has fire resistant characteristics with low smoke.
➨It slows down spread of flames as mentioned above as it is self extinguishing cable type.
➨It can be installed in very less space and hence allows space for air circulation to be used by HVAC system.
➨Twisted-pair, coaxial,HDMI and DVI versions of cable are made in plenum version.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Plenum cable
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Plenum cable:
➨They are expensive compare to non-plenum cables.