Advantages of Neodymium magnet | disadvantages of Neodymium magnet
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Neodymium magnet. It mentions Neodymium magnet advantages or benefits and Neodymium magnet disadvantages or drawbacks. It is known as NdFeB magnet which is short form of Neodymium Iron Boron magnet.
What is Neodymium magnet?
• It is rare earth magnet.
• It is permanent magnet which is made from alloy which include neodymium, iron and boron.
• It forms Nd2Fe14B crystalline structure which has tetragonal shape.
• It is used in many commercial products such as electric motors, hard disk drives, door locks, loudspeakers, headphones, magnetic bearings, MRI scanners etc.
• GM and Sumitomo Special Metals companies have discovered this compound material.
• The figure-1 depicts various shapes of this magnet (cylinder, disc, block, tube etc.) used for different applications.
• The other common magnets include Alnico (Aluminium Nickel Cobalt), Ferrite, Ceramic, Samarium Cobalt, Magnetic Rubber etc.
Benefits or advantages of Neodymium magnet
Following are the benefits or advantages of Neodymium magnet:
➨They have greater strength magnetic field.
➨They are available in small sizes and various shapes.
➨They are light in weight.
➨They are less expensive compare to Samarium Cobalt magnets.
➨It has higher power to weight ratio compare to other magnets.
➨It offers higher resistance to de-magnetization.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Neodymium magnet
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Neodymium magnet:
➨It has lower operating temperature of less than about 80oC. This means magnetic characteristic starts decreasing at 80oC and often gets lost above it.
➨It offers lower corrosion resistance.
➨It is brittle and hence gets break/crack due to collisions.
Satellite Communication RELATED LINKS
Advantages and Disadvantages of other Sensing methods
Different types of Sensors Related links
Article on Sensors and Transducers>>
Occupancy Sensor vs Motion Sensor
LVDT and RVDT sensor
Position, displacement and level sensor
force sensor and strain sensor