Advantages of Lead Acid Battery | disadvantages of Lead Acid Battery
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Lead Acid Battery. It mentions Lead Acid Battery advantages or benefits and Lead Acid Battery disadvantages or drawbacks. It also describes Lead Acid Battery basics.
What is Lead Acid Battery?
• A battery is a storage device which stores power.
• As shown in the figure-1, it contains six cells with each having 2V value.
• Materials used are led peroxide (PbO2), sponge led (Pb) and dilute sulfuric acid (H2SO4)
• Positive plate of lead acid battery is made of PbO2 which is dark brown hard and brittle substance.
• Negative plate of lead acid battery is made of pure led in soft sponge condition (Pb).
• Here H2SO4 uses water to acid ratio of 3:1
Benefits or advantages of Lead Acid Battery
Following are the benefits or advantages of Lead Acid Battery:
➨It is available in all shapes and sizes.
➨It does not require any maintenance.
➨It is best in terms of reliability and working capabilities.
➨It withstands slow, fast and overcharging.
➨It is capable to withstand long term inactivity with or without solvent.
➨It offers best value for power and energy per KWH.
➨It offers longest life cycle.
➨About 97% of lead can be recycled and reused in new batteries.
➨It is inexpensive and simple to manufacture; low cost per watt-hour
➨It offers low self discharge, which is lowest among rechargeable batteries.
➨It offers good performance at low and high temperature.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Lead Acid Battery
Following are the disadvantages of Lead Acid Battery:
➨Lead is heavier compare to alternative elements.
➨It has low specific energy, poor weight to energy ratio.
➨It can be charged slowly i.e. fully saturated charge takes 14 to 16 hours.
➨It must be stored in charged condition in order to prevent sulfation.
➨It has limited cycle life. Moreover repeated deep cycling reduces battery life.
➨Flooded version of battery requires watering.
➨It is not environmentally friendly.
➨There are transportation restrictions on flooded type.