Advantages of FDDI | disadvantages of FDDI
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of FDDI. It mentions FDDI advantages or benefits and FDDI disadvantages or drawbacks. FDDI stands for Fiber Distributed Data Interface.
What is FDDI?
• It is a high performance fiber optic token ring.
• It is similar to 802.5 and IBM token rings, but it runs on fiber rather than copper.
• It offers up to 1000 connections.
• It supports 200 Km of total fiber length.
• It offers data transmission rate of about 100 Mbps.
• It uses multimode optical fiber with following transmission medium parameters.
Optical source (1300 nm LED), Core diameter (62.5 micron), Cladding diameter (125 micron), numerical aperture (0.275), bandwidth (500 MHz/Km).
• 4B5B line code is used as data encoding technique.
• Frame size is between 17 to 4500 bytes.
• FDDI cabling consists of two fiber rings viz. primary and secondary. One is transmitting clockwise and the other transmitting anti-clockwise.
• FDDI defines two classes of traffic viz. synchronous and asynchronous.
Benefits or advantages of FDDI
Following are the benefits or advantages of FDDI:
➨It offers higher bandwidth (upto 250 Gbps). Hence it can handle data rates upto 100 Mbps.
➨It offers high security as it is difficult to eavesdrop on fiber optic link.
➨Fiber optic cable does not break as easily as other types of cables.
➨Fiber optic cables are not susceptible to EMI (Electromagnetic Interference).
➨Fiber optic cables transmit signals over greater distances of about 200 Kms.
➨Fiber optic cables weigh less compare to copper wire of similar bandwidth.
➨FDDI uses multiple tokens to improve network speed.
➨It is possible to provide priority to the work stations connected in the chain. Hence based on the requirement some stations are bypassed to provide faster service to the rest.
➨FDDI can isolate faulty nodes with use of wiring concentrators for instantaneous re-routing. Wiring concentrators function as centralized cabling connection devices for workstations.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of FDDI
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of FDDI:
➨FDDI is complex. Hence installation and maintenance require great deal of expertize.
➨FDDI is costly. This is because fiber optic cable, adapters and concentrators are very expensive.
➨Also refer advantages and disadvantages of Fiber Optic System >>.